Thursday, June 19, 2014

Feel the Need for Speed



Ernest Hemingway wrote The Sun Also Rises in six weeks.

William Faulkner also needed just six weeks to write As I Lay Dying.

Jack Kerouac wrote On the Road in only three weeks.

Then again, he was on drugs.

However, Ray Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit 451 in nine measly days

and he was most definitely NOT on drugs.

He was just a highly motivated new dad who was seriously strapped for cash. So he went to the local library with a sack full of dimes and rented a typewriter for 20 cents an hour. His “dime novel” cost him $9.80.

I’m thinking it was worth it.

Anyway, the whole point here is to try something new this week.

When you sit down to work on your book, set your timer, then 

Write FAST!

Do not stop.

Do not think.

Do not even breathe.

Well, okay, I guess you can breathe.

Speed writing is the BEST way to override the naggy editor that lives inside your head.

You know, the one that looks a lot like Gollum from The Hobbit, but has much better grammar.

Yeah, I've got one too.

But I think we should put off that editor until next week.

Sure, Precious is going to get all cranky about it…

Tough beans.

And, seriously  take me up on this one.

It may be the ONLY time you ever see me suggest procrastination.


PROMPT: Write FAST right NOW! Try this method on your current project all week long. And hey, you might want to strap on that seat belt. You’re going places… and it just might be a wild ride!

2 comments:

  1. Okay. I'm writing this comment really fast with my eyes aclosed is that good enought"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! That was so fast, I almost missed it. Nice one, Flash!

      Delete