Monday, December 23, 2013

A Christmas Story



The movie A Christmas Story was adapted from Jean Shepherd’s 1966 novel In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash.

In case you’re unfamiliar with this holiday classic, it’s a semi-autobiographical tale from Jean’s childhood in Hammond, Indiana… a time when he had one very specific Christmas gift request —

“An official Red Ryder carbine-action, 200-shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time!”

No, the movie is not exciting or action-packed.

It’s more of a simple, slice-of-life film 

one that’s chock-full of characters that are easy to relate to.

And I’m not just saying this because I also had a father who worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay.

It’s the kind of tale that makes you think...

Hey, I could write something like that, too.

After all, if you happen to be someone who celebrates Christmas…

I know there’s a Christmas Story inside of you.


PROMPT: Jean Shepherd was fond of saying, “That reminds me of something that happened to me when I was a kid…” Start with that line and go from there. Write about the year of the Christmas blizzard, or the time the dog opened all of the presents, or…


Write on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment