Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mush!




When I was a kid, I dreamed of being a musher.

Every year when the Iditarod rolled around, I waited to hear the day’s results on the nightly news.

Someday I will grow up, I thought, and that is exactly what I will do – just me and a team and the Land of the Midnight Sun!

Of course I did grow up, and when I did I realized a few things –

1) I’m not awfully fond of the cold.

2) I AM awfully fond of the sun. In other words, Alaskan winters now sound like a dark and frigid form of H*LL in my book.

3) I am also awfully fond of sleep. So, 10 to 14 days on the trail with very little shut-eye would probably make me psychotic.

Alas, it is a sad reality that as a grown-up I've become much more mushy than musher.

The good news is this, however – I am quickly approaching my other childhood dream.

That delicious fantasy that one day, if I worked things just right, I could grow up to be…


a Hobbit!


PROMPT: Have an Iditarod adventure today! Check out the current standings, then poke around the blogs and trail stories here – you’re sure to find a tale (or tail) worth writing about. Mush on!

2 comments: