Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Divine Intervention




As I mentioned yesterday, I read Martha Brockenbrough’s Devine Intervention over the weekend. It’s a delightful book featuring an unusual guardian angel as one of the main characters.

And that got me thinking about those invisible helpers.

When I was in high school, one of my friends loved to tell the tale of how her dad had been saved as a toddler. Apparently, he had somehow managed to pitch himself out of a second story window, but was fortuitously caught by a stranger’s HUGE umbrella… on a cloudless day in Pittsburgh. My friend and her family remained unconvinced that the rescuer was a person of the human kind.

And then there was the time I was taking a long drive east on Interstate 90 in Wisconsin. It was late afternoon, and I was a sleep-deprived graduate student. Trust me, that is not a good combination. I was seriously fighting the doze – chugging the  coffee, cranking the music, shaking my head every 7 minutes or so – but nothing was helping. If only I could just close my….

That’s when I saw it. Just up ahead, in all caps at least three feet high, scrawled across the overpass – “I LOVE BARB DAVIS, DUDE!!

My mouth gaped as I rolled along beneath it, then I completely busted a gut.

And for the rest of that 4-hour drive, I was absolutely, completely, altogether AWAKE.

Of course, the whole thing could have been a doze-induced dream, or some strange and statistically unlikely coincidence, but there is one thing I am absolutely sure of…

If I do have a guardian angel, that is EXACTLY the way he speaks.

Carry on, Dudes!

Have a  heavenly day!


PROMPT: Have you ever had a strange “woo woo” rescue moment? Remember, it’s all material. Also, exactly what kind of angel keeps watch over you? Give Alanis Morissette’s Guardian  a listen for a little inspiration. Rock out and write on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment