Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Yen to Zen




I've been writing for educational companies since 2005. However, even after all these years, I can still have a minor freak-out when I receive a request for 5 stories with a “next week” deadline.

Thank goodness that Ray Bradbury is there to save me every single time.

In his book Zen in the Art of Writing, he explains the three-step process that’s essential for any creation –

WORK
RELAXATION
DON’T THINK

For me the concept has become a mantra of sorts –

WORK RELAX DON’T THINK

And as an added bonus, the words can be said in any order and still be effective…

RELAX WORK DON’T THINK
DON’T THINK WORK RELAX
RELAX DON’T THINK WORK
WORK DON’T THINK RELAX
DON’T THINK RELAX WORK

Ah, doesn't that feel awesome in a zany zen-y sort of way?

Are you ready to face the page now?

I know I am.

And by the way, Ray says if the WORK really starts to get you down, you can always replace it with LOVE.

After all, that’s what creative “work” really and truly is anyway.

LOVE on!


PROMPT: Do you have a mantra? If not, give Ray’s a whirl or create one of your own. And here’s a tip – “Don’t suck” is NOT a mantra, for goodness sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment