Monday, January 28, 2013

Fun at Work?



A day without laughter is a day wasted.
~Charlie Chaplin


Some calendars say that this is officially National “Fun at Work” Day, while others report that it is only celebrated on the last Friday of January…

In other words, we may have missed it.

Well I say, “Why can’t EVERY day be Fun at Work day?”

I mean, why does a commute to the workplace always have to mean a trip into the bowels of Heck?

I remember working at a place in the early 90’s where I was constantly informed (not in a positive way, mind you) that my laughter was “audible in the hallway.”

Um, like that’s a bad thing?

I think not.

In fact, all the research is on my side.

For example, a group of kick-butt scientists at Cal State Long Beach have discovered that people who have fun on the job are more creative, more productive, better decision-makers, and get along better with co-workers. They also have fewer absentee, late, and sick days than people who aren't having fun.

These days I am my own boss, and you can bet that I never yell about laughter, giggles, or even…

naps.

And guess what –

the nap research is on my side, too.

So, enjoy this beautiful Monday.

Have fun!

After all…

Life is too dang short to worry about audible laughter.

PROMPT: You know, I've always wondered if the folks who work at the Prozac factory are giddy with happiness every single day...

Anyway, today is a great day to write about the best job you've ever had, or list all the ways you could make your current work more fun. Then go for the bonus round – create something marvelous about my old sourpuss boss who was only happy when everyone else was depressed. Hmmm… maybe he should get a job at the Prozac factory.

1 comment:

  1. The best job I've ever had is the one I'm doing right now. Staying home in bed reading and writing while the snow flies. ^_^

    ReplyDelete