Friday, October 12, 2012

Golden Moment


Still Pokey, but not so “Puppy”
(P.L.P.: The Senior Years)

 
Do you remember those Little Golden Books?

Do you wax nostalgic when I mention The Pokey Little Puppy, Scuffy the Tugboat, or The Happy Man and His Dump Truck?

If you have NO IDEA what I’m talking about, then go ask your parents to tell you about that rock you were raised under.

This month, while many are making merry about Vegetarian Awareness, the folks at Little Golden Books are celebrating 70 years of publishing for the preschool set.

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a talk given by Diane Muldrow, the Golden Books Editorial Director. So I put on my reporter hat and brought back some news you can use.

If writing a Golden Book is on your bucket list, Ms. Muldrow says to focus on 2 to 5 year-olds and what is going on in their lives. Write about the construction site down the street or the new baby in the family. In fact, she says she would really like a new baby story (picture book writers – are you listening?).

Also, she highlighted a couple of new Christmas books, so they do not shy away from holiday stories.

Ms. Muldrow suggests that you try your hand at comforting, charming writing – the kind that offers that Golden feeling.

Further, she loves to publish first-time authors, so Golden Books is a great place for rookies.

By the way, here’s a bonus tip – when Ms. Muldrow was a child, her FAVORITE Little Golden Book was Goodbye, Tonsils.

I don’t know about you, but I think I Lost My Appendix in the Great Recession might be right up her alley.
 

PROMPT: If you’d like to write a Golden Book, then get out this weekend and read 50 of those little wonders. By the time you’re finished, that Golden feeling will be oozing from your pores. Then you’ll be ready to create a read-aloud classic that your great-great grandchildren will one day be clamoring for – those golden puppies stay in print for a long, long time (Cha-CHING!).

By the way, get ready for the fun and funny 2013 release of Diane Muldrow’s own golden adventure – Everything I Need to Know, I learned from a Little Golden Book.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment