Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Get Ready…




November is only two weeks away, and you know what that means…

A month of outright madness.

No, I am not talking about the witlessness brought on by the presidential election, or the debilitating jetlag caused by the end of Daylight Savings Time.

I’m talking NaNoWriMo.

National Novel Writing Month.

For those of you who don’t know about this crazy creative caper, here’s a little background –

Back in 1999, Chris Baty, an out-of-work anthropologist came up with the idea to write a 50,000-word novel in one month. And while we can certainly wonder why this guy was unemployed when every company in the world has at least 27 positions specifically designed for anthropologists, we cannot question his NaNoWriMo creative brilliance. Heck, it is even fun to say.

Anyway, an idea that began with a group of 21 friends from the San Francisco Bay area (drinking enough coffee in one month to kill an elephant) has evolved into a force of over 200,000 participants worldwide.

Elephants beware.

And while I‘ve never actually completed an entire novel in a month, each year I’ve used the 30 days of November to make a HUGE dent in my WIP (Work in Progress).

Why?

Because misery LOVES miserable company, that’s why.

Actually, I’ve done it because I find it much easier to edit words on a page than those floating around in my head on the slow boat to nowhere.

I’m encouraging you to try it for yourself.

You have two weeks to think about it –

And trust me, your November novel is A LOT more fun to think about than candidates, bad debates, battle state polls, second term goals, fact checking, and what-the-hecking…

Vote NaNoWriMo!


PROMPT: Are you planning to have a NaNoWriMo in November? For more information, you can check out Mr. Baty’s official website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment