Monday, September 17, 2012

Risky Business (minus Tom Cruise)


 
 
“You've got to jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down.”
~ Ray Bradbury


Hmmm…

You know – just thinking about cliffs gives me the willies.

When it comes to physical risk, I guess you could call me a gutless wonder.

For example, you will NEVER hear someone mention my name and the words “thrill-seeker” or “daredevil” in the same sentence.

You will never find me at the end of a bungee cord.

You will never find me at the top of any mountain that requires the use of an oxygen tank.

And you can bet that you will never find me taking leaps from airplanes.

Leaps of faith, however – psychological risks – are an entirely different matter.

Those I can do.

So, over the weekend I worked my couch potato tail off and FINALLY finished the novel revision that I’ve been working on for months. The novel itself – well, I’ve been working on THAT monster for YEARS.

Now it’s time to take one of those crazy psycho (um, I mean psychological) leaps once again…

and send it out.

Of course, that may lead to a whole stack of NO.

And the hint that a whole lot of my time on the planet has been wasted.

Hmmm…

I could just play it safe, you know –

and stash it in a drawer.

But…

Playing safe is probably the most unsafe thing in the world. You cannot stand still. You must go forward.

~Robert Collier


So, I’m going forward…

with a fistful of feathers

just in case.
 

PROMPT: It’s Take a Risk Week! Get those words out of your head, out of the printer, or out of the drawer, and get them in front of someone else’s eyes! Artists – frame it and hang it, dang it! Today is a great day to take a chance! Who’s with me?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment