Monday, July 16, 2012

Teller Tale



I saw these signs over many a beam and doorway in England.  
They are there to remind you not to include a concussive event while partying in a 500-year-old pub or rushing off to class in a building as old as, say, Jesus. Obviously people were a lot shorter before Power Bars and Red Bull.
I like the message.
In fact, I think these signs should be hung EVERYWHERE to serve as friendly reminders to care for those creative thinker thingies in our craniums.
Sadly, many folks do not mind their heads.
I ran smack into this bit of reality at my bank a couple months ago.
I was making a deposit when I noticed a stack of coins on the shelf between me and the teller. And because I am curious, and quite possibly nosey, I asked him why they were there.
“Somebody threw those at me,” said Mr. Teller.
“Somebody threw those at you?” I was horrified. “That’s terrible!”
Mr. Teller shrugged.
I was still in shock. “I am so sorry that happened to you,” I said and then looked at my watch. “Good GOD, it’s only 10:00 AM!” I felt HORRIBLE for this guy. “Well, I guess the good news is that your day can only get better from here.”
“Oh, it didn’t happen today,” said Mr. Teller.
“Excuse me?”
“It happened weeks ago,” said Mr. Teller.
Let me interject here that the older I get, the less inclined I am to keep my opinions to myself. Yeah, I’m pretty much a gravity-fed gumball machine of thought. And yeah, I probably need a Mind Your Mouth sign. Anyway…
“Wait a minute,” I said – no longer feeling HORRIBLE. In fact, I was on the express train to ANNOYED. “You’re saying that someone threw these coins at you WEEKS ago…
He nodded.
“and when you start your shift, you actually take the time to stack them up here?”
His nodding slowed.
WELL, you MUST be doing that because of all the… uh, POSITIVE feelings it generates for you!” I smiled.
Mr. Teller shrugged.
“Good luck with THAT.”

I mean, I know life doesn’t come with a little instruction book, but really?

PROMPT: Mind Your Head this week. Grey and white matter matters, so spend a little time exploring what keeps you at your creative best. Then eliminate the stuff that doesn’t work.
But hey, if you’ve ever experienced a really bad customer, client, or job then you’ve got some good material for a really great story. Don’t just stew – create something new!
Scott Adams took a bad job and turned it into a fortune by creating the comic strip Dilbert. By the way, Scott went into management after being held at gunpoint twice in four months while working as a TELLER. Hmmm….

4 comments:

  1. No kidding? Who throws coins at bank tellers? I think I need MIND YOUR MOUTH tattooed to the back of my hand. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea who would do such a thing. I'd like to give him or her a piece of my gumball mind as well. Then again, maybe I should go with you to get the tattoo!

      Delete