Friday, May 18, 2012

Don’t Fear the “R” Word



I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career.
I’ve lost 300 games.
Twenty-six times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot…
and missed.
I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life.
That is why I succeed.

~ Michael Jordan, Professional Basketball player



Failure.
It is a good thing.
No, scratch that.
It’s a GREAT thing.
Because if you’re failing, it means you’re trying. You are out there! You are making things happen!
For writers and artists, the “failures” are rejection letters – those little “noes” we all “knows” so well.

Or we should.

Because if you don’t have a rejection collection, you must not want to succeed.

Rejection, after all, is one of the necessary steps on the path to success.

Don’t fear it.

Say it with me…

Don’t fear rejection.

Yeah, your new mantra.

And just so you never, ever, EVER forget it, there are three more words you need to know…

BLUE. ÖYSTER. CULT.

The music is here.

But, my friends, the lyrics have been mindfully bent.

Crank it up, then read and rock on…


All the work is done
This could be the one
Seasons don't fear rejection
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain…we can be like they are
Come on writers...don't fear rejection
Artists, take my hand...don't fear rejection
You'll be able to fly...don't fear rejection
Baby, it will be grand...

(you already know this part by heart)
La La La La La
La La La La La

All the work is done
This could be the one
Romeo and Juliet
Will be printed for eternity...Romeo and Juliet
80,000 books are published every month… Like Romeo and Juliet
80,000 books are published every month… Redefine happiness
Another 80,000 coming every month… we can be like they are
Come on writers… don’t fear rejection
Artists, take my hand… don’t fear rejection.
You’ll be able to fly… don’t fear rejection.
Baby, it will be grand…

(Oh yeah, sing it out)
La La La La La
La La La La La

Love of art is fun
Here but now it’s gone
Came the last NO of sadness
And it was clear she couldn't go on
Then the mail was opened and the YES appeared
Her doubts all flew and then disappeared
Her dreams all grew and then reappeared...saying don't be afraid
Come on writer...and she had no fear
She believed again...then she started to fly
don’t look backward or say goodbye...she had become like they are
She had taken a chance...she had become like they are
Come on writer... don’t fear rejection
.


PROMPT: Sing it loud and proud! Just add cowbell for instant success. NOW is the time to get that manuscript, portfolio, or query letter on its way to YES!
(Special thanks to Grace, AKA Rock Star in Residence, for verse 3 assistance. That girl can JAM!)

8 comments:

  1. Yes, we are on the same page today. I've had a week of "R" topped by not so flattering feedback on the latest project. Must put on my writing armor so I can charge back into battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same page? Sounds like we're in the same BOOK! But hey, we're still in the game, Angi! I'm stickin' with those Jordan stats -- so, let's just keep shooting... for the stars! ;)

      Delete
  2. This is another GREAT one. You guys ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at ya! It runs in the family, you know.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, good one. I love that song anyway; now I'll have conflicting lyrics in my head. (Hmm. Maybe I should be mad at you.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh. Well, um, at least I kept the "LA LA LA LA LA" line the same.

      Delete
  4. I Love this post, Barb! (So glad to finally have checked in on your blog). This is the perfect boost for my week! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete