Monday, April 23, 2012

Blessings


It was an amazing weekend! Not only did I get to enjoy the fantabulous Western Washington SCBWI Conference, but I was lucky enough to start another trip around the sun.
Yesterday, while many were celebrating Earth Day, I was celebrating a birthday, too. And while I am actually older than Earth Day (which technically makes me older than dirt), you will hear no age-related complaints from me. There's just too much to be thankful for.
And that got me thinking…
Sure, it is important to pursue art with passion and persistence. There is no doubt about that. But here’s something else I sincerely believe, deep down in that creative heart of mine:
If the only words you write, every single day, are those in a list of blessings you are most grateful for…
And if the only thing you paint, every single day, is the beauty that dwells within a small piece of sky…
You will have done enough.
You will have made your world a better place…
And that, in turn, will make the whole world a better place.
That’s my belief…
and I’m stickin’ to it.
Of course, all this grateful pondering reminds me of a story (please, forgive me – everything reminds me of a story).
It was a Thanksgiving long ago when my daughter was just two years old. And like many families, it is our tradition before dinner for everyone to take a turn and state what he or she is most grateful for. Well, when it was my daughter’s turn, she paused and considered.
We all held our collective breath.
And then she stated with solemn conviction…
“Sleeves.”
I have been a fan of those unsung arm heroes ever since.

And so I will begin this day by adding a very special birthday gift to my 5000-mile-long personal gratitude list:
·    The storyteller, in the photo above, that my daughter (of “sleeve” lore) sculpted just for me.

PROMPT: What’s on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment